SLARTC was created women empowerment as a non-profit organization with the basic objective of providing legal aid and assistance to socio-economically disadvantaged people in distress. SLARTC women empowerment takes up cases in the courts of law on different human rights violations and makes representation to appropriate authorities for redress of grievances. SLARTC is supported by volunteers of nearly 200 lawyers from various legal areas who willingly offer their services on a pro bono basis.
SLARTC women empowerment organizes educational programs with human rights lawyers, and INGO’s like UNICEF, UNHCR, ILO, SCF and government officials. SLARTC’s educational programs are regularly attended by leading practitioners from many countries throughout Asia.
1. To provide free legal services to women, children, senior citizens, individual cases of labour problems where there is no trade union, needy and distressed persons.
2. To provide counselling to cases of marital discord, families, senior citizens, and traumatized children.
3. To organize awareness building programmes on:
– Laws related to women, children, labourers.
– Women’s rights, human rights and CEDAW
– Voluntary organizations and law
– Laws relating to prevention and protection of child labour.
– Laws relating to eviction, Govt. acquisition of land, slums, etc.
– Handicapped persons welfare measures, facilities & legal protection
– HIV / AIDS: care and protection
– Ethical and legal issues related to HIV / AIDS
4. To help through Women’s Cell:
– Formation of Mahila Samity (Women’s Groups)
– Help organize income generation programmes
– Health education on mother and child health
– Skill development training / vocational training
– Programmes: Micro-credit, Adopt-a-Granny, Sponsorship, Child labour, Street Children, Gender Issues / Domestic Violence, Reproductive Health Education, and Personal Hygiene.
– Balwadi and non-formal primary education